Whether you are a passive smoker, the best air purifier for cigarette smoke is a compulsory gadget for your home. These kind of air purifiers however are not specified to cigarette smoke only, they are prone to perform all the other functions like eliminating unwanted odor, dust particles, pet hair, etc. as well.
On the basis of features and the need to top rated air purifier, Hathaspace Smart purifier is our editor’s pick.
Best Air Purifier for Smoking – Buying Guide
Buying the best smoke air purifier for a home is a long-term investment, here are some prominent factors you should know
Area coverage or room size is the first and foremost feature to know the through of humidifier. An efficient air purifier for cigarette smoke has the information usually written on the box. In general, a model that is made to cover 350 sq ft area (small rooms) will not be efficient for larger room sizes. A simpler understanding for the user’s ease, find the appropriate size by the table below
- Up to 350 sq ft Small Area
- Between 350 to 800 sq ft Medium Sized Rooms
- Between 800 to 1300 sq ft Large Rooms
- Between 1300 to 1900 sq ft X-Large Rooms or Big Halls
Cost of Filters
As the filters need to be cleaned every month and replaced after 3 months, or 6 months. Some filters are expensive but do the work efficiently, while some others are cheap but require maintenance by the time.
Some of the latest models of air purifiers have a beeping indicator that helps you to know to replace or clean the filter. Most of the filters price ranges from $20 to $200. However, the good filters for odor-removing carbon or charcoal costs around $50.
Since this device will always be running whether day or night. So ideally an air purifier should be quiet. You need to check how much noise rating a purifier has which is usually mentioned in dB. For easy reference, a noise level of 50 dB.
CADR means Clean Air Delivery Rate. CADR rating shows how rapidly an air purifier cleans the indoor air of a room. It is expressed in CFM (cubic feet per minute). The greater the CADR reading, the quicker and more capable the device is. The general CADR standard can be expressed as;
|Above 240 CFM||Excellent|
|180 to 239||Very Good|
|120 to 179||Good|
|60 to 119||Fair|
There are different CADR ratings for removing tobacco and cigarette smoke, dust, and pollen. You need to focus on the CADR for your main pollutant concern. Since we’re discussing the best air purifier for cigarette smoke removal.
Replacements of Filters
The main kind of maintenance required for an air purifier is the replacement of air filters. There’re of different types;
- HEPA Filters: They last around one-year depending on the use and air quality.
- Carbon Filters: Activated Carbon Filters usually last 6 months.
- Pre-Filters: Generally last 3 months. Some are washable and can last long-term.
Best Air Purifiers for Cigarette Smoke Removal
1. Hathaspace Smart True HEPA Air Purifier – Best for X-Large Rooms
- This best air purifier for cigarette smoke removal has an extra-large coverage area and refreshes cent percent of the air every hour in spaces up to 1500 sq ft.
- A smart laser sensor monitors the air environment which provides accurate measurements and response as a numeric value from 1 – 500.
- In Auto-mode, the air purifier automatically regulates the fan speed depending on your surrounding air, turns OFF the display light, activates sleep mode with the slight touch of your finger.
- The machine is Energy Star certified and is fully compliant with the electrical safety standards and ozone requirements by CARB (California Air Resources Board).
- The manufacturer provides a hefty 5-year warranty.
- The unit has a CADR reading of 450.
- The device weighs 28 lbs.
This American Brand Smart cigarette smoke air purifier has 5-stage purification technology. 1st stage Cold Catalyst Filter targets VOCs and other harmful chemicals. 2nd stage is the Activated Carbon Filter and Zeolite absorbs cigarette smoke, odors, and gasses like formaldehyde. 3rd stage a Medical Grade HEPA Composite Filter that filters over 99.97% of particles down to 0.1 microns. 4th Stage has a Polypropylene Pre-Filter which captures smaller particles improving the efficiency of the HEPA filter. 5th stage a Nylon Washable Pre-Filter traps larger particles like pet dander and lint.
- Its sleek and beautiful touch-screen digital display panel tells your EPA air quality index.
- A tiny light on the front panel changes its color vis-à-vis the concentration of contaminants.
- The noise level is almost zero, as its Whisper-Quiet sleep mode operation and dimmable display lets you purify air at night, without any distraction.
- The device uses an H13 HEPA filter which is considered a medical-grade air filtration.
- The Hathaspace is 60% more energy-efficient than standard air purifiers, saving your utility bills every year.
- It is the best portable air purifier for people having Asthma related problems.
- The price is somewhat on the higher side.
2. LEVOIT Air Purifier – Best Budget
- The Core 300 is Energy Star certified and CARB compliant.
- While using this air purifier, the air changes 5 times per hour in medium to large-sized rooms as large as 219 sq ft or 20 sq meters.
- The air purifier has 3 stages of filtration with 360 degrees of purification. An activated carbon filter neutralizes kitchen smells, tobacco odors, and pet smells. True HEPA Filter captures pet dander, dew, mites, virus, aerial bacteria, and other small bits. While Nylon Pre-Filter traps somewhat large particles such as fibers, lint, etc.
- The device operates at a soothing voiceless 24 dB while the silent mode is selected.
- On the display panel, you can adjust the fan speed, sleep mode, timer, check filter indicator, and lock with a touch of your finger.
- Its CADR number is 230.
This budget-friendly LEVOIT air purifier has proven to reduce 99.99% of certain bacteria and viruses. This LEVOIT has a unique feature of choosing from 4 replacement filters based on the needs of your environment. Original Filter, Pet Allergy Filter, and the Toxin Absorber Filter for areas with high levels of cigarette and tobacco odor.
- Its display lights can be turned OFF during the night for undisturbed sleep.
- Its Airtight Sealing Strip ensures that contaminants will remain trapped within the purifier once they have been captured.
- Due to its various features, the unit is ideal for the office, bedroom, kitchen, basement, and living room.
- The dimensions of this product are quite compact and can be placed in an upright position easily anywhere on the floor beside beds, sofas, or tables.
- The purifier is ozone free, as it avoids using UV/Ion light – which is an air cleaning method that produces harmful ozone secondary pollution.
3. Germ Guardian Air Purifier and Sanitizer – Best Budget
- The Germ Guardian air purifier uses corded power 120V AC from the wall outlet.
- The device is quite tall and has a height of 22 inches.
- It has an anti-microbial Pet Pure Filter to handle pet dander and pollen as small as 0.3 microns.
- The purifier has a 3-stage filtration system. Its True HEPA filter captures dust mites, pollen, and pet dander. While its Pre-Filter traps allergens & Charcoal Filter reduces odors of cigarette smoke, pet hair and absorbs odors.
- Its UV-C Light kills airborne germs and viruses such as staph, influenza, and so forth.
- The CADR reading of this air purifier is; Dust 107, Pollen 116, and Smoke 99.
This is a powerful 5-in-1 air purifier unit for medium or small spaces. It covers an area of 153 sq ft. it is capable of capturing 99.97% of dust and allergens, kill airborne mold and germs, and at the same time reduces odors.
- This air purifier to remove cigarette smoke is graded for its capability to filter cigarette smoke and is Energy Star verified and CARB compliant.
- The unit has customized 3-speed settings
- It has optional YV C light on its digital display panel for ease of use.
- Each filter or bulb is designed specifically for a particular unit style.
- The product comes with a 3-year warranty.
- A red blinking light indicates the replacement of the filter.
- The HEPA filter is not washable and needs to be changed after 6 months.
4. SilverOnyx Air Purifier – Best for Large Rooms
- The purifier also offers 5-stag advanced filtration; 1) Mesh Preliminary Filter traps larger particles, 2) True H13 HEPA Filter traps 99.97% of particles up to 0.3 microns, 3) Activated Carbon Filter neutralizes household odors from cooking smells and tobacco smoke, 4) Negative Ion Generator helps to eliminate airborne particles, 5) UV Light helps to create clean and fresh air.
- Due to its circular and compact design and shape, the unit provides 360 degrees of purification.
- It covers large areas and has a coverage of 500 sq ft.
- The device has a built-in ionizer, UV light, sleep mode, ON/OFF timer, and auto-mode.
- The CADR rating is 83 CFM.
This Silver-Onyx cigarette smoke air purifier covers a 60% larger surface area than other competitive brands with flat filters.
- You can set your purifier on a timer to turn OFF automatically after 30 minutes to 24hours.
- Its UV-A LED light bulb provides a light source for a photo-catalyst that helps to create clean and fresh air.
- The device has an illuminated digital screen display to easily perform all the functions even at night in the dark.
- Due to its large coverage area, it is perfect for large bedrooms, offices, living rooms, and basements.
- A 2.5 PM (Particulate Matter) sensor automatically adjusts airflow to ensure consistently high-quality air.
- An indicator light starts blinking and alerts you when it’s time to replace the filter.
- The CADR reading is quite low.
5. Hamilton Beach True Air Purifier – Best for Small Rooms
- The unit has 3 versatile speed settings; High, Medium, and Low.
- This purifier has triple filtration technology which helps to eliminate pet dander and absorbs unwanted smells.
- The air purifier covers an area of 160 sq ft.
- The air purifier does not require a battery and uses a power source from the wall outlet.
- It has 3 Filtration stages with 3 filters. Two carbon zeolite filters and a pre-filter to capture larger particles.
- Its pre-filter is permanent and two zeolite filters require replacement after 3 months.
- The fan of this gadget is ultra-quiet and make zero noise while it’s ON.
Hamilton Beach True Air purifier for your bedroom, living room, or small office with everlasting HEPA filter with a 3-stages filtration system. It’s a versatile air-care solution for your home and office. An ideal piece for small rooms.
- Due to its stylish and sleek design, it can be placed in vertical as well as horizontal positions besides your bed, chairs, or even on the tables.
- The air purifier delivers 97% efficiency.
- Its time-strip cartridge is a reminder which counts days to 3 months and informs to change the filter.
- You can vacuum clean the long-lasting filters easily whenever required.
- Due to its triple filtration technology, there is no undesirable household odors, no odors from pets, birds, and smoke.
- The fan of this air purifier has no automatic setting and sometimes sounds a little louder.
All these air purifiers are efficient and their filtration power is great. They’re versatile and can easily be used according to the size of your room. Some models are budget-friendly. Despite all this discussion, the combo of HEPA filter combined with Carbon or Charcoal filter does an excellent job to clean and purify the air.
FAQs – Cigarette Smoke Air Purifier
Do air purifiers help with cigarette smoke?
Yes, the most efficient type of filter to eliminate tobacco smoke is a HEPA air filter. It means High Efficient Particulate Arrestor. These filters are capable of removing particles even to 0.1 microns.
What is the best air purifier for removing cigarette smoke?
Any air purifier fitted with a built-in HEPA filter can be effective for removing tobacco smoke. All However, you may consider Hataspace Smart True-HEPA Air Purifier for smoke removal. It has 5-stage filtration technology and covers a large area.
What neutralizes the smell of cigarette smoke?
Apart from using an air purifier in each room, keeping an open container of charcoal or white vinegar in a room is effective to remove cigarette odors and other cooking smells from the home. Always use an exhaust fan in the kitchen, keep your house ventilated by periodically opening all the windows.
Does air purifier remove smoke smell?
The good news is that an air purifier helps to remove smoke from the air. Not only it cleans the air making it fresher to breathe, but they also capture many harmful chemical components from the air as well.
Are there any side effects of an air purifier?
No, there’re no side effects. Having said that some models emit a very small level of ozone. Therefore, before getting one, check this factor on the specifications of the product.
How do you stop cigarette smoke from spreading?
Through proper ventilation. A well-ventilated room disperses the smell of tobacco smoke within few hours when a cigarette is extinguished.
How do I know that my air purifier is properly working?
After using the air purifier for some period, check its filters. If the filters are dirty and need to be cleaned or washed, it simply means that your device is working fine. As regard odors, if there’re no unpleasant smells or cigarette smoke odors in the house, then it is another sign that the purifier is removing unwanted odors.