For self-defense, the best pepper spray gun is a convenient gadget. This device is filled with different kinds of chemical irritants, when used on the target they cause coughing, skin irritant, burning, and temporary blindness. This chemical is mixed with water or oil to be dispersed in large volume towards attackers or wild animals.
Factors to Look for Before Buying the Best Pepper Spray Gun
There are various factors to consider while purchasing the most effective pepper spray. Doing the proper research about this product will increase your chance of survival from any emergency.
This is the first and the foremost feature to look for. Most of the best spray guns have a range from 15 to 60 feet. For outdoor activities like camping, boating, or jogging, you need a large range while if you intend to use the gun indoors.
SIZE OF GUN AND CANISTER
Pepper spray guns are available in different sizes. Size also means the size of its canister in which spray is contained. For protection against animals, while camping or hiking, you may need a large gun with large sized tin for multiple shots. For normal situations, small size may suffice the purpose.
NUMBER OF SHOTS FIRED
This simply means how many shots of spray can be fired before its container becomes empty. You should go for the best pepper ball gun having more shots, i.e its container capacity is large.
TYPE OF SPRAY PATTERN
There’re various spray patterns to choose from. Every pattern is beneficial depending on the situation. A pepper spray pistol will have a spray pattern out of these five;
Stream: This is the most common type and very similar to a water pistol of kids. The stream spray has a range of 15 to 25 feet. It is very effective outdoors, especially when some wind is blowing.
Cone: Cone spray pattern is effective within 12 feet range. This is a spherical motion stream just like a cone ice-cream with 2 feet diameter. If the target victim inhales it, then he may feel immediate choking and coughing.
Gel: This is the most preferred method in close vicinity set-up. When sprayed, the gel sticks to the target for some time as the gel is normally very sticky. It covers a distance of 30 feet.
Foam: This is similar to gel type. When it is sprayed on the target it also sticks to the face or skin, as the foam is heavy. It causes prompt burning of the skin area. When the target tries to remove the foam, it causes more burning.
Fog: Fog spray covers a larger area and can be hit multiple times. It is more effective to use indoors as it blocks the hallway within seconds.
The sprays of pepper spray gun expire after a certain time. Although the spray still works it loses its effectiveness. Most sprays have expired dates mentioned on the packet.
Best Pepper Spray Gun
1. MAGMA WORLDHUMANTEC – Multifunctional Pepper Spray Gun
- The pepper gun has a shooting distance of 6 meters.
- The unit has a self-defense alarm which is used to get the attention of others by just tilting the gun downwards instead of shouting or screaming.
- Its alarm is quite powerful having 130 dB sound and sends signals up to 50 meters.
- The gun shoots powerful liquid pepper.
- The pepper gun is battery-operated.
This MAGMA WorldHumantec is a multifunctional and portable self-defense security gadget that throws pepper spray towards the target. The pepper guns of the MAGMA brand are acknowledged the world over.
- The gun has a night-aim searchlight, which makes it easier to find your target in the dark.
- Its night light can also be used as a leisure tool while walking or jogging near your home.
- The pepper spray pistol has a hanger ring and you can hang it with your pants.
- The price is a little bit on the higher side.
2. BYRNA HD Pepper Launcher Gun
- The product is manufactured using glass-reinforced polymers and aluminum.
- The device is powered by compressed air (carbon dioxide).
- The gun is lightweight and weighs only 1.3 lbs.
- The maximum range of this pepper gun is 60 feet.
- The gun fires 0.68 calibers round chemical irritants in the shape of a projectile motion.
Byrna Home Defense (HD) Pepper Gun is an excellent non-lethal alternative for self-defense. This is a gas-fired personal security device. It contains more than 100 precision parts combining both technologies of real firearms and gas-fired launchers.
- This best-rated pepper spray is ideal for camping and hiking as it is more effective against wild animals.
- The device has a long-range and can disable a threat from far away.
- The Co2 cartridges shoot 15 to 20 rounds in one magazine.
- Its Co2 cartridges have no expiry date because the cartridge is not pierced until the trigger is pulled on.
- Once the Co2 cartridge is punctured, the gas will leak out within 24 hours.
3. JPX FIRESTORM 2LE – Non Laser Pepper Spray Gun
- This pepper spray gun fires liquid pepper to the target.
- The range of this gun is 23 feet.
- It sprays the liquid pepper at a speed of 400 MPH.
- The gun has a detachable magazine that holds 2 cartridge contains two charges.
- The pepper spray pistol is waterproof and shockproof.
JPX Firestorm 2LE pepper spray gun is made in Switzerland. The device works well on suspects of drugs and violent persons. The gadget is suitable not only for usual self-defense purpose, but also ideal for prisoner transfers in jails, or for controlling the animals.
- The liquid spray jet delivery minimizes the risk of injury.
- The gun is an effective tool to keep at home to use against burglars.
- It has a very high-speed shot.
- Due to its liquid spray quality, there is no blowback like in the case of conventional spray.
- The guns come with practice cartridges that fire water or any color of dye.
- The excessive use of this gun on a person can seriously injure him.
- It does not have a safety lock to prevent accidental ejection.
- The cartridges have a short life span of just two years as compared to other models having four years of the expiry date.
4. Rekt OpSix Pistol Foam Dart Gun
- The guns are available in blue and red options.
- The gun is powered by a single 12-gram Co2 capsule.
- The package contains 6 foam darts.
- The range is more than 50 feet.
- The gun is a single-shot muzzle load.
The product is offered by the brand name Umarex. This self-defense gun is designed to shoot foam darts instead of pepper. This gun shoot darts at a much faster rate than the standard darts.
- There is a manual safety feature in the gun when not in use.
- The extra foam darts are easily available online.
- The gun fires shoot 30% faster than the ordinary models in the same category.
- The gun is compatible with most of the other foam dart brands.
- The weight of foam darts is not much heavy and in case the wind is blowing, then it may miss the target.
5. DAISY POWERLINE 426 Air Pistol
- The gun is available in black color.
- It is made of plastic material and weighs 14.4 ounces.
- The gun is 0.177 inch or 4.5 mm caliber and uses BBs that measure 4.3 mm and having a weight of 0.35 grams.
- The gadget has molded black grip for easy handling in emergencies.
- It has a built-in magazine that is easy to reload and holds 15 BB shots.
- The gun is powered by 12 grams of Co2 cartridges (sold separately).
The DAISY Powerline 426 Co2 pistol can shoot BBs (metallic balls). The BBs are not so heavy to injure the target, but they create slight burning on the body.
- The gun is semi-automatic.
- Instead of liquid pepper, this pistol fires metallic balls towards the target.
- This is a great pistol for plinking and to teach beginners safe gun practices.
Effects of Pepper Spray on the Skin
Although pepper spray gun is a non-lethal self-defense product, it has some harmful effects on the human body and can cause some irritations as mentioned below;
- Slight painful burning of the skin
- Hard continuous coughing
- Irritating and running eyes and nose
- Temporary blindness
- Minor swelling of affected skin
- Shortness of breath
Precautions for Using Pepper Guns
Although pepper guns are non-lethal product. But even then some important safety precautions should be kept in mind all the time while using this device.
- Be mindful of the wind direction, because in case the spray reverses due to wind that you may also be affected by the OC chemicals.
- Keep the pepper guns out of reach of children, as the spray may cause severe irritations and other harmful effects to the children.
- If you are keeping the device under lock and key for long period, then pull it out and shake it on regular basis. Because the OC chemicals may lose their effectiveness.
- If you have some kind of respiratory problem or skin allergy, then you should think about some other kind of self-defense technique.
- Before purchasing this product, check the relevant laws in your state or country.
- Before using the device, get a practice round or purchase some extra rounds to properly aim the target.
After reading this, you might have an idea right now about the different features of the best pepper spray gun. Before making the right decision, you need to look at the reviews, the brand, performance, range of the gun spray type. Since crimes are rising and taking serious steps to protect yourself, your home, family members are quite a reasonable decision to make.
FAQs – Pepper Spray Guns
Is pepper spray considered a weapon?
Although these guns are non-lethal and do not kill a person. But even then in some countries, it is considered to be a weapon. For example, in the UK carrying a pepper gun has the same penalties as an actual firearm. you need to check the relevant laws of the country for this purpose.
Are our pepper spray guns legal?
The devices are legal in all American States. However, some states have imposed some limitations on the size of canister used in pepper guns. You need to check the relevant laws of the state.
How many times can you spray a pepper gun?
It can be used more than once. But with every use, it slightly loses the pressure.
What is the strongest pepper spray you can buy?
SABRE Red is the strongest self-defense pepper spray that you can buy. It is top-notch quality. Even law enforcement officials across the world believe that this is the strongest pepper spray. It contains the powerful substance OC (Oleoresin Capsicum) which causes temporary blindness.
What is the best pepper spray?
SABRE Red is the best pepper spray. Its 3-in-1 which has 25 bursts in 0.5-ounce quantity. Its range is up to 10 feet and has a shelf life of 4 years.
How long does pepper spray last?
For most people, the irritant effect of pepper spray last for 30 minutes, even the individual washes his eyes with water.
How to beat pepper spray?
There is no instant remedy and cure from pepper spray exposure. However, individuals may reduce the intensity by moving into the fresh air, washing the affected area with water, and avoiding soap around the eyes.