Shoveling the snow is quite an exertion especially when you cannot feel your hand. A power snow blower however, is a smart choice to prevent physical labor and saves a lot of your time. you can find battery-operated, gas-powered, electrical snow blowers, etc. all having different specifications for different conditions.
Here are some factors that you should keep in mind while finding the power-smart snow blower.
What Factors to Look for Before Buying Snow Blower (Buying Guide)
The Power Type
Three types of snow blowers are single-stage, two-stage, and three-stage. They’ve various snow clearing widths and depths. They’re available both in electrical and gas-powered models.
Single-Stage: These machines are suitable for smaller driveways, and walkways. They are 18 to 22 inches wide and can handle snow up to depths of 12”. They’re fit for light snow in areas where snowfall is 12” or less. It can throw snow 30 feet away.
Two-Stage: They’re able to handle heavy snowfall of 22” deep. They clear pathways from 24” to 32” wide. They’ve heavier and sturdier designs. The unique feature is that they throw snow twice. First, a metal auger scoops up the snow and then its impeller fan throws it out through a chute. It can handle a medium-size snowstorm.
Three-Stage: These are the most powerful snow blowers and can handle 60 feet long driveways, and a snow depth of 16” or more. It has all the same features as the two-stage with the addition of a third-stage – the accelerator. Their two metal augers first collect the snow then an accelerator pushes it towards the impeller which throws snow out at a high speed. These blowers can throw snow 60 feet away. The machine can handle heavy and multiple snow-storms.
Most snow blowers offer one speed. There are models having multiple-speed. The multiple-speed feature helps you to handle the snow and ice more effectively. The speed can be adjusted both in forward and reverse mode.
For the fluffy type of snowfall, you need fast speed to move on. While for heavier wet snow, you need to slow down to give your machine enough time to clear away the path.
Usually, the gas-powered snow blowers are started with the help of a pull-cord. ‘Electric start’ feature starts your snow blower with the help of an electric cord. The gas models sometimes have difficulties starting in snowy weather.
Airless Tires: Somewhat a new feature, that helps to run the machine on uneven surfaces and unpaved walkways. Tires also provide traction and a better grip of the machine on snow.
Headlights: This is an extra feature. But very useful when you use the machine at nighttime or in foggy /snowy weather. Headlights also improve visibility for other car drivers if you’re working near the road.
Folding Handlebars: This feature is for space-saving. After folding the handlebars, you can store the machine easily in compact places.
Best Power Smart Snow Blower
1. Power-Smart (Model DB72024PA) | 2-Stage Gas Snow Blower
- The blower is powered by a 212 cc engine with an electric start.
- The unit allows a snow clearing width of 24” and a clearing depth of 21”.
- The fully assembled machine weight is 187 pounds.
- It has 4-forward and 2-backward speed control for convenient driving.
- The manufacturer guarantees that the blower will start in extreme snowy weather, even at -20 degrees F.
- It offers a snow-throwing distance of 40 feet.
- Its large 13-inches inflatable tires make movement easy even on the deep snow.
- The product comes with a 2-year warranty.
This Power-Smart 2-stage gas snow blower comes with a power assist turning feature that makes it steering and turning in heavy snow quite easy. The blower is powered by Storm Force OHV engine.
- Its push-button electric start engine and speed variations allow you to handle your snow-clearing work conveniently.
- It has been designed ergonomically and comes with foldable handles, to store in compact places when not in use.
- A resourceful control panel and remote snow-fall control make the snow cleaning job a lot easier.
- The machine has a heavy-duty auger system and a strong heavy-duty steel frame.
- The chute can be rotated to 180 degrees to throw out the snow in the desired direction.
- The handlebar folds down easily just by unscrewing the 4 nut bolts.
- The blower does not come fully assembled and some parts need to be assembled, which takes 20 to 30 minutes.
- When transporting the unit in the OFF position, it needs to be pushed harder with more force.
- The product is a little expensive.
2. Snow Joe (Model SJ625E) | Single-Stage Electric Snow Blower
- This electric snow blower has a durable steel auger with 2 rubber blades, having a clearing width of 21” and 12” deep.
- Its 3W LED headlight is a safety precaution for cleaning snow at nighttime and for better visibility in foggy weather.
- Its 180-degree adjustable directional chute provides full control over the direction of the snow stream.
- The blower is capable of throwing snow in any selected direction up to 25 ft.
- The snow plowing capacity is 800 lbs/min, which saves time to clear snow.
- Its 8-inch tires move smoothly on all-terrain especially on the snow surface and also turns effortlessly with good traction on snow.
- The product is ETL-certified (Electrical Testing Labs), as It has been tested for safety standards to work with.
- The product comes with a full two-year warranty.
- Its push handle is adjustable as well as foldable, which makes it easy to store in the garage or basement.
- The product is lightweight and weighs 34.6 lbs.
This Snow Joe Snow Blower has a 15-amp engine inside the machine, which is the highest that you can find in North America. Although the blower is electrically operated but delivers the high-power of a gas machine.
- The machine offers sufficient torque to prevent the blower from slowing down even in heavy snowfall.
- Due to its electric power operation, there is no fuel filling hassle, engine tune-up, and no oil changes are required saving time and money.
- It has a low maintenance cost due to electric power usage.
- Its scraper blade efficiently scrapes the snow clear to the ground without damaging your deck or pavement.
- The machine is energy-efficient and costs approximately 35 cents per hour of operation.
- A holder on the handlebar enables you to hang the extension cord so you can avoid tripping.
- Due to its large plowing capacity, this snow blower can remove up to 10-inches deep snow.
- It uses corded electric power, due to which the unit cannot be used some distance away outside your home.
- The steel auger is a little thin for this heavy machine.
- The handles feel a bit flimsy.
3. EGO Power (Model SNT 2100) | Single-Stage Cordless Snow Blower
- EGO Power has 35 feet snow throwing distance in any selected direction.
- It has a high-efficiency brushless motor, that enables it to have a clearing width of 21”.
- The engine is a push-button start and has a variable speed control.
- Its 5W LED head-light enables to work after dark and gives better visibility in snowy weather.
- The equipment weighs 51 lbs.
- The manufacturer provides a 5-year warranty.
This battery-operated Snow Blower is the only cordless machine that is equally powerful as gas-operated. The blower is equipped with Peak Power Technology; it combines the power of 56V two ARC Lithium batteries to clear away the heavy snow.
- Its remote chute has a strong steel construction.
- Even with its heavy power and performance, the machine does not make much noise, fuss, and fumes.
- Its heavy-duty tires make it easy to maneuver in any direction effortlessly and have surface-grip even on snow.
- Due to battery-powered, the machine has a low maintenance cost.
- The handlebar is not only adjustable but also foldable, which makes it easy to store in tight places like the garage.
- The batteries and charger are not included in the package and bought separately.
- The machine has low weight, due to which sometimes it does not provide proper traction on snow.
4. Snow Joe (Model 324E) | Single Stage Electric Snow Blower
- This machine takes power from electrical outlet with usual 120V.
- Its high-efficiency brushless motor provides higher power to the impeller to a speed of 1800 rpm, which wastes less energy.
- It is capable of snow clearing of 11” wide and 6” deep with each pass.
- The snow plowing capacity is 400 lbs per minute.
- The machine is instant start and features a safety switch to prevent accidental starting.
- Its fully collapsible handle makes it easily portable as well as a convenient handle for easy storage to compact places.
- The machine features high-powered 2W bright LED headlamps that light your snow path after dark.
- The product comes with a 2-year warranty.
- The weight of the blower is 14 pounds.
The startups are very simple with this Snow Joe snow blower with 10 Amp motor.
- The unit is capable of throwing snow at a distance of 20 ft in any direction with precision.
- Its 180-degree adjustable chute provides a side-to-side movement, while the deflector can direct the trajectory of the snow for throwing snow away.
- The unit comes 50 ft extension cord which can be used both indoor and outdoor.
- The machine is energy and cost-efficient, and costs less to run extending the life of the blower.
- The grips are made of soft rubber that is comfortable for extended hours of use.
- Its push-handle is easy to assemble and foldable.
- Its scrapper catches snow from uneven surfaces, and from pavements.
- Its blower is not self-propelled and you need to push it through the snow using some manual force.
5. Hattomen Snow Thrower | Electric with Overload Protection
- This snow blower is in a combination of orange and black color.
- It has a powerful motor of 1600W (13 Amp) and delivers equivalent results to a gas blower.
- Its 18 inches clearing width and 7 inches clearing depth provides good efficiency.
- Adjustable 180-degree directional chute throws snow in an organized manner.
- The snow throwing distance is 13 feet.
- Its snow plowing speed of 500 pounds per minute saves time and physical energy.
- It comes with a safety switch on the grip handle prevents potential accidents.
- Its 3-stage handle is fully ergonomically designed including the lift handle.
- The machine is lightweight and weighs only 28 lbs.
- The blades are abrasion-resistant.
- The throwing distance is low, as compared to other snow blowers in this category.
- The wheels are small and may face problems while moving on snow.
Gas Vs Electric Snow Blower
Electric snow blowers are eco-friendly, clears narrow spaces easily, have a low engine maintenance cost, and hence save money. Electrical-powered snow-blowers require to be plugged into a power outlet. They’re lightweight but due to the cord limitation, they cannot be used for a larger area than 50 sq ft. Their clearing width is 24” and snow intake up to 13”.
Gas snow blowers are more powerful machines and free of corded cables. They’re portable and more durable due to their larger snow intakes. They can easily clear heavy snow in less time. Their snow clearing width can be increased up to 45” and depth 2 feet, and able to clear snow twice in one pass as much as electric snow blowers.
Electrical machines are quieter but cannot be used in wet snow. While gas-powered machines are much louder but ideal to be used on wet snow. Electric models are cheaper, whereas gas blowers are expensive.
You need to check how much deep snowfalls in your area. Depending on the snowfall, you can decide which one to buy. If your area gets light snowfall up to 14’ deep, then go for an electrical model of the snow blower. If weather conditions are harsh, and your area receives heavy snowfall of more than 20”, then a gas snow blower is more suitable for you.
How Does a Snow Blower Work?
A snow blower is a smart investment that lasts for a lifetime. Do a quick assessment of the weather in your area or city to know the snowfall. There is always a snow-blower that will be perfect and most suitable for your climate.
FAQs – Power-Smart Snow Blower
Are power smart snow blowers good?
These snow blowers are effective and suit your needs when the area is too large. Power-smart snow blowers save your physical labor by shoveling the snow. Two-stage machines are more efficient.
What is the most reliable snow blower brand?
Some popular brands of snow blower are Ariens, Craftsman, Cub Cadet, Power Smart, Husqvarna, Toro, Snow Joe, Simplicity, Ego, Honda, etc. Out of these Ariens, Power Smart and Toro are the most reliable brands offering powerful machines with more features.
How long does Ariens snow blower last?
If proper care and preventive maintenance are done regularly, Ariens machines can last from 30 to 35 years.
How much snow do you need to use snow-blower?
A minimum of 2 or 3-inch snow is needed to use a snow blower. You can use a single-stage machine to clear this much snow.
Should you use a snow blower on a gravel driveway?
Yes, to blow snow on a gravel driveway you need a two-stage or three-stage snow blowers. The one-stage blower has an auger that comes in contact with the ground surface. This is not the case in the case of 2 or 3-stage machines.